Search This Blog

Saturday 11 December 2010

Thunderbirds Are Go

It was suggested in November that the Thunderbirds booklet may have a new year code incorporated into the background print. I can now confirm (thanks to Norvic Philatelics) that this is the case, only with a little twist in the tail, Larry you owe me a 1p Machin ! !

Ian reports on his blog that is has the Year Code M11L - this has moved - it is not where the MA10 code is found on printings during 2010.

The background printing in the top left corner has the letters OYAL on the first line, and ALM11LR on the second line

Where MA10 was this year, in front of the Queen's forehead, it has reverted to MAIL, and the code for custom (MCIL) remains in the top right corner.

Ian informs us that the packing date for the issues he has seen is 04/11/10 and the bar code 5014721 127798. Many thanks Ian for this information.


Broadly Speaking
Terry Hunt asked the question "what are broad bands and how do they occur?"

These are found mostly on stamps where the phosphor has been printed or applied in error.
The best way to describe these errors is, they occur due to a phosphor shift.
A two band stamp can be found with one broad phosphor bar. I borrowed this image from the web which shows exactly what a broad band looks like.
If you have any questions regarding Machins, please do drop myself or Larry a line, if we know the answers we are more than happy to answer them on these pages.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I hate to lose a bet.

Now I will have to scrimp and save and get a 1p Machin for Roy.

--Larry

Anonymous said...

Regarding broad band stamps, it occurs to me that we don't see them any more.

Small shifts of up to 1mm or so still occur, but I don't think there's been a shift large enough to create a broad band in a long while. This is probably the result of improvements in the printing processes.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

--Larry