Search This Blog

Thursday 20 January 2011

Machin for Christmas


I was going to post this during the holiday period, but, well, tempus fugit.

Arnold Machin is known as the designer of his iconic stamp who never designed another. I didn't know until recently that it wasn't for lack of trying.

Last month the BPMA posted rejected art work by Arnold Machin for the 1968 Christmas issue. Not surprisingly, it's an image of a sculpture - in this case, the Virgin and Child.

A slightly larger image is here.

I do not recall Machin mentioning this in his autobiography, but I don't have my copy at hand, so if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know in the comments.

--Larry

PS About the booklet pane…well, it is mostly red and green…in fact, this is one of the booklet panes that got me started collecting Machins. But that's a story for another time.

No comments: