Search This Blog

Saturday 6 March 2010

A Blast From The Past

As I have nothing in particular to write about I thought you may like to see a few of the earlier prestige panes I picked up at the auctions recently.

Whilst I was studying them for inset or short bands , It got me to thinking how refreshing it was just to have only two PBs a year. There are other panes I picked up (later than these) but I do not think Larry or my self have shown these pictures or described the stamps on these panes up until today.

The first is one of my favourites, it is the Machin pane from Brontë Prestige Booklet containing 4 x 2nd, 2 x 42p, + 2 x 39p Printed by Walsall in Gravure (Issued : 24th Feb 2005).



The second (below) contained 4 x 1st, 2 x 50p and 2 x 68p from Trafalgar Prestige Booklet produced by Enschedé and printed in Gravure (Issued : 18th Oct 2005)

The third pane (below) contained 4 x 1st, 2 x 35p and 2 x 40p it is from The Brunel Prestige Booklet produced by Enschedé and printed in Gravure (Issued : 23rd Feb 2006)


Number four on my list (below) is The Machin pane containing 4 x 50p and 4 x 1st NVI PIP from The Victoria Cross Prestige Booklet produced by Enschedé and printed in Gravure (Issued : 21st Sep 2006)


The fifth Pane (below) has more new stamps, 4 x 1st NVI PIP and 4 x 5p from Inventions Prestige Booklet produced by De La Rue it is printed in Gravure (Issued : 1st Mar 2007)



The next booklet issued was for the 40th Anniversary of the Machin, It contained no less than 3 Machin panes, all produced by De La Rue and printed in Gravure. The issued date was 5th june 2007.
I have not shown these as we covered the booklet and the 40th Anniversary extensively at the time of issue. However just to refresh your memories I will describe the panes for you. The first Machin pane contained 4 x 2p, 2 x 48p and 2 x 46p.

Second Machin pane containing 2 x £1 Ruby Machin. The third pane, (which was actually the fourth in the booklet) contained 2 x 1st NVI Large, 2 x 2nd NVI Large, 1x st NVI PIP and 1 x 2nd NVI PIP.
Sadly I am still working on the Prestige Booklets pages on my website. I must knuckle down and add some more content there. I think to date I have covered up to number 22 (a long way to go)which is the Profile on Print booklet. This is the one that was issued 16th February 1999 and contains 5 panes of Machins by 5 different printers and 5 x different print processes

No comments: