Search This Blog

Saturday 5 October 2013

I've Got The (Sapphire) Blues



Did you have a sense of deja vu when you learned that the new £1.88 stamp would be sapphire blue? I didn't.

But Douglas Myall did. He reminded me that the 10/- engraved Machin issued in 1969 and the similar 50p version issued in 1970 were also sapphire blue.

The colors are not identical, but I guess after 40+ years there won't be much confusion.

While we're on the subject of the new Jubilee colors, here's a little quiz for you.





One of these stamps is the £1.90 issued last year in the Jeffery Matthews color rhododendron. The other is the 78p issued this year in the Jubilee color orchid mauve. Can you tell which is which just by looking at the colors?

If you can, you are a true Machin Maniac!

I will post the answer in a few days.

--Larry

UPDATE: The answer is in the comments.

2 comments:

DaveM said...

I'd plump for the 78p on the right - paler, but yes, very close in shade!

Anonymous said...

Our one brave reader is correct, the 78p is on the right.

--Larry